Learn About the Beautiful World of HDR Photography
Our 1 day workshop introduces you to the beautiful world of HDR photography. HDR has grown in popularity over the past few years and has also developed into its own art form. Originally conceived as a way to overcome the technical limitations of today’s camera sensors to see the full range of shadows and highlights of a scene in a single exposure, it is now viewed as a separate photography genre.
This workshop will explore how HDR works, how to shoot the images, what kind of software is required and which specific camera features are required.
We will focus on all of the key requirements to shoot compelling HDR images including the process for setting up and shooting the required bracketed images. Following that we will cover how to tone map and edit your HDR images in a variety of software packages to create your final image.
WELCOME TO THE BEAUTIFUL WORLD OF HDR PHOTOGRAPHY
The specific topics covered in this workshop includes:
The Fundamentals of HDR & Camera Settings
- Understanding Dynamic Range
- Searching for HDR subjects/scenes
- Standardising your camera settings
- Reading the Histogram to capture the correct exposures
- Exposure Bracketing
- Capturing the bracketed exposures
- Understanding the basics of Tone Mapping
- Using Photoshop Merge to HDR
- Using Lightroom Merge to HDR
- HDR with Photomatix Pro
- Managing noise and ghosting
- Finishing the image in Lightroom
HDR PHOTOGRAPHY – WORKSHOP INVESTMENT
HDR Photography Workshop – $245
All workshop fees are due in full at the time of booking. please review our Terms and Conditions for our complete policy on cancellations and refunds.
UPCOMING SESSION DATES AND LOCATIONS
NEW 2018 DATES COMING SOON! Express your Interest
You will get the most from this workshop if you are familiar with your camera’s basic operations, including the adjustment of the aperture, shutter speed and ISO settings.
Know how to use the camera’s various metering modes and if necessary take the time to review these things prior to the workshop.
Class size will be between 4-6 students. We limit our class sizes to create a more individual learning environment.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
- A digital SLR with interchangeable lenses is a plus but not a necessity. The bare minimum is a camera that can: shoot RAW images, have a manual and aperture priority exposure setting, and the ability to auto-bracket your exposures. Note: You can still participate and shoot without these features, but you will be severely limited in the quality of your images and your ability to capture them effectively. Make sure your batteries are charged!
- You will also need to bring your own computer, one that is capable of operating Lightroom, Photoshop and Photomatix Pro. Remember to bring your power cable! An external mouse is highly recommended as a minimum for image editing.
- A sturdy tripod is helpful for HDR photography and is very important.
- A remote shutter release cable or wireless shutter release is highly recommended by not essential.
- You will need Photomatix software, you can download a free trial at www.hdrsoft.com.
- You will also need Adobe Photoshop CS5 or later (older versions don’t have good HDR processing). If you do not have Photoshop, follow this link and download the 30 day free trial of Photoshop CC: http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jsp.
- Adobe Lightroom is recommended as we will be using it during the workflow and noise reducing sections of the workshop.
Tea, coffee and snacks