Learn to Take Flattering & Dramatic Portraits
- Customer Reviews (0)
Add a review for 3 Day Portrait & Lighting Photo Escape
This is the perfect Photo Escape for Photographers who want to get started with using speedlites and studio lighting to create beautiful and eye catching portraits. Using flash and strobe lighting might seem like a complicated task for most. This 3-day, hands-on photo escape will demystify the technicalities and empower you with a solid understanding of lighting basics. We will cover the basics of flash photography, both on and off camera, using a variety of modifiers such as umbrellas, soft boxes and reflectors.
In each session, we will cover the fundamentals of speedlite and studio flash lighting and resolve many questions you may have. We will construct different lighting setups with a model and experiment with the lighting capturing beautiful photos you can add to your portfolio! We will even have a session where we will shoot lovely profile pictures of each other.
At the end of this photo escape, you will know what basic equipment you need to achieve the looks you want to incorporate into your portrait shoots. How to use your equipment, how to confidently place your subject into the light and meter for the best possible results.
As with all of our Photo Escapes, in addition to learning new photography skills and techniques, its all about escaping for a few days and immersing yourself in photography with a group of people who also share in a passion for photography. At the end of the day’s program it’s time to sit and relax, perhaps share a glass of wine and each other’s company.
Perfect for the cooler months!
TAKE FULL CONTROL OF THE LIGHT TO CREATE PERFECT PORTRAITS EVERY TIME
The specific topics covered in this workshop includes:
Portrait Photography Techniques
- Fundamentals of Light
- Speedlite Features
- Controlling the Exposure of Your Subjects and Backgrounds Separately
- Using Flash as the Main Light Source or as a Fill Light
- Learn to Bounce Flash to Create Softer, More Flattering Light
- Basic Posing Guidelines
- Classic Portrait Lighting Styles
- Introduction to Off-Camera Flash & Studio Lighting
You will be encouraged to try each of these techniques during the photoshoot sessions.
Personal assistance will be available during each of the shoots to
guide you with the various techniques and to ensure you capture stunning images.
- Day One – Speedlite Features & On-Camera Flash – Model Shoot
- Day Two – Off Camera Flash Techniques & Studio Lighting – Portrait Shoot
- Day Three – Review and Studio Shoot with Model
Each session will begin in the classroom, covering in-depth review of flash features, followed by practical photo shoots with a model.
You will get the most from this workshop if you are familiar with your camera’s basic operations, including the adjustment of the aperture, shutter speed and ISO settings. Additional camera settings we will be using will include Flash features. It is ideal to familiarise yourself with these features prior to attending.
A basic amount of fitness is required for this Photo Escape. We will be walking short distances around the property during the practical photo sessions with the model.
Class size will be between 4-6 students. We limit our class sizes to create a more individual learning environment. The workshop may be cancelled if less than 4 bookings are received. A full refund will be issues in the case of cancellation. The Complete Pixel is not responsible for other booking cancellations such as travel or accomodation.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
- A digital SLR with interchangeable lenses is a plus but not a necessity. The bare minimum is a camera that can: shoot RAW images, has a hot shoe mount for external flash unit
- External Flash Unit & flash manual
- You will also need to bring your own computer, one that is capable of operating Lightroom, Photoshop. Remember to bring your power cable! An external mouse is highly recommended as a minimum for image editing.
- Adobe Lightroom is recommended as we will be using it during the processing portion of the workshop.
- Spare camera & flash batteries and battery charger.
Tea, coffee and snacks
Meals & Accomodation